i quit using tiktok a few months ago because it got too addicting. i deactivated my account and deleted the app off my phone. fomo felt real the first month because bro what trends or new stuff am i missing. new music?? new cute clothes?? makeup??
now that i look back at it, it actually benefit me.
1. made me save money by not buying cute unnecessary stuff (charlotte tilbury contour)
2. take control of my time an not use it til 5 in the morning even when i only said imma use it for an hour til i go to sleep
3. finish my tasks instead of scrolling mindlessly on the fuckin app
4. stop comparing myself on other people and remind myself it is a highlight reel not their whole life
5. stop my ocd triggers or when it put shit ideas in my head that aren’t mine which makes me oveerthink everything even though it doesn’t involve me AT ALL
6. and actually listen to a whole song instead of its best part (steve lacy)
and i know, half of these i could probably stop if i have self control, but i don’t. that’s why i said it was addicting. addicted people do their habits mindlessly. i literally told my therapist “i could stop using it if i don’t want to use it, i just want to” when she told me to stop using the app for a day every week. and when i did stop and felt good but when back to it bc i got bored, i told her “i started using the app again,” she said, “that’s what addicts say.” now I’m like, fuck. r u forrealzies.
anyways life felt better after that.
and i still have Instagram and snapchat. and obvi i use reels to cope. but guess who’s starting to watch IG reels to seek dopamine??
but like ok i feel like this time i have better control of my use for it. but i don’t want to spiral again.
and ik when I’m on my phone too much i start feeling like shit when it occupies my time more than doing other productive stuff.
so i wanna quit social media for bit.
but like the fomo and shit.
and i whenever i quit social media and then come back, i feel good for a few days but then go back to the old habits. maybe instead of quitting, manage my time on it wisely?? ughh if i figure it out imma tell ya’ll.